Senior Compliance Manager
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business – Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Moneycoach, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com
Octopus Renewables is a leading specialist renewable energy investment manager for retail and institutional clients. We currently manage investments in energy generating assets valued in excess of £3.4 billion. The assets we invest in and manage are across a range of geographical locations and include solar power parks, wind farms, reserve power plants (gas fired generators), biomass and landfill gas projects as well as anaerobic digestion systems. Our mission is to accelerate the transition to a future powered by renewable energy.
As announced on the 26th March, Octopus Renewables Limited is joining forces with Octopus Energy, forming part of the Octopus Energy Group. We expect the transition to occur in June or July.
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior Compliance Manager to work within Octopus Renewables. This is a new opportunity as Octopus Renewables joins Octopus Energy Group and this person will take on the senior management functions SMF16 (compliance oversight) and SMF17 (MLRO) for Octopus Renewables Limited. You will help to shape the function in line with the business needs and will be the sole person for Compliance, with scope to build this as Octopus Renewables continues to grow.
The ideal candidate will have extensive compliance experience, preferable within Asset Management and ideally from a large global organisation. General strong regulatory knowledge of the Asset Management industry is required. You must have a desire to work both strategically and operationally and a can-do attitude with ability to operate at all levels. Due to the lean nature of the team and business, you will be comfortable managing the operational aspects of the role.
- SMF16 and 17 holder
- Manage the compliance function, while maintaining and developing the compliance culture within Octopus Renewables
- Advise the on AIF, Investment Management and Investment Advisor compliance matters and input into Product governance
- Oversight of all Compliance policies, procedures and internal controls ensuring these are properly documented, regularly reviewed, and tested for understanding to mitigate risk to Octopus Renewables and remain aligned to requirements from Octopus AIF Management Ltd.
- Be the key contact for the FCA, liaising and reporting to the FCA and other regulators where applicable, including transaction reporting
- Maintain the compliance monitoring program and performing relevant checks and reviews
- Review all marketing materials to ensure compliance with relevant regulations
- Report regularly on compliance matters to the board of directors, ensure Management is kept informed of its regulatory obligations and the responsibility of an SMCR role
- Promote employees’ awareness by providing compliance training
- Keep up to date with any changes to UK Compliance regulations and laws and, understand the future regulation and compliance agenda and be able to build tactical plans around this. Understand or be able to seek advice on other jurisdictions as necessary.
- Contribute to contract negotiations from a compliance viewpoint and ensure appropriate KYC
Knowledge and skills
Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience:
- Have worked with investment teams and have a understanding of the compliance requirements in these teams
- Understanding of MIFID II rules and regulations
- Extremely well organised and ability to prioritise their workload, always being one step ahead
- Knowledge of the FCA handbook and practical implications
- Collaborative and inclusive working style
- Ability to bring technical topics to life for others to embrace
- Ability to partner with senior leaders in the business
- Must be curious and seek to learn and improve whilst instilling automated and digital solutions wherever appropriate
- Be able to offer commercial and strategic advice and challenge to the business
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward, and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting, and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.
If you wish to apply for this role, please send your CV to: [email protected]
PLEASE READ PRIVACY NOTICE BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION