Senior Finance Manager
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £10 billion (As at 31st March 2021) on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business – Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Moneycoach, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com
Octopus Renewables is a leading specialist renewable energy investment manager for retail and institutional clients. We currently manage investments in energy generating assets valued in excess of £3.4 billion. The assets we invest in and manage are across a range of geographical locations and include solar power parks, wind farms, reserve power plants (gas fired generators), biomass and landfill gas projects as well as anaerobic digestion systems. Our mission is to accelerate the transition to a future powered by renewable energy.
As announced on the 26th March, Octopus Renewables Limited is joining forces with Octopus Energy, forming part of the Octopus Energy Group. We expect the transition to occur in June or July.
About the role
Reporting to the Financial Controller, this role requires an individual who is highly organised, capable of both dealing with multiple workstreams and running defined processes efficiently and autonomously.
The team you will be working in is busy and diverse. To excel in this role, it is essential that you are proactive, keen to learn, focused, self-motivated and able to work under deadlines.
This is a 6-month (with scope to extend) interim role to work closely with the OR Financial Controller to assist in the management of the finance team and associated deliverables while the OR Financial Controller focusses on other projects. The team are responsible for the financial reporting and analysis for an expanding portfolio of renewable assets that are owned by a number of Retail, Institutional and Listed Funds. These assets have a growing international presence across the UK, Europe and Australia. While much of the day to day operations and accounting is outsourced at the asset (SPV) level, this role will be responsible for the quality of the Fund level financial information, along with assisting on new fund raises and new investment transactions. This is a wide-ranging role and will require the ability to manage a range of stakeholders and deliver to tight timelines.
A large part of the role (c. 75%) will relate to the management of Listed and Institutional Funds. This will involve preparing and presenting financial information at Board Meetings, ensuring accurate delivery of financial information to investors in line with the Funds’ reporting timelines and close management of the associated administrators and depositories. Additionally, the Senior Finance Manager will be required to assist with new deal closes and potentially new fund raises/fund set ups.
The role sits within the Octopus Renewables’ Finance team, reporting directly into the Financial Controller. The team interacts with several other teams across Octopus Renewables and the wider business, so it is imperative that the Senior Finance Manager is able to build strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. We are looking for the Senior Finance Manager to provide team management cover for the Financial Controller whilst on a 4 week sabbatical in August/September.
- Review and challenge management accounts provided by Administrators.
- Prepare and present financial information at external Board Meetings.
- Ensuring financial information accurately presented in Investor Reports.
- Delivery against fund reporting timetables.
- Project manage fund level audits and review of statutory financial statements and corporation tax returns; liaising with external auditors as required.
- Assist with new fund raises/ fund set up and structuring, including overseeing tax as required.
- Overseeing distributions, NAV, Unit pricing and dividend cover calculations
- Ensure a robust control environment is present throughout the portfolio.
- Ad hoc reports and analysis as required.
- A point of escalation for team queries – taking ownership of requests and issues where necessary, creating stakeholder goodwill by providing appropriate solutions in a timely manner.
- Keep up with the technical accounting within the funds industry
New transaction responsibilities:
- Assistance with the financial and tax due diligence workstreams for new transactions.
- Manage Depo relationships to ensure smooth closing of investment transactions.
- Organising completion payments in line with the funds flow.
- Working with other members of the team to ensure all finance-related elements are considered and addressed ahead of deal close.
- Assisting with the onboarding of assets once acquired.
We are also looking for you to
- Be a valued business partner and build and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify system improvements and take ownership of driving change across the team. This will involve working closely with external accountants to improve current processes across the portfolio.
Knowledge and skills
- Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA) with post qualified experience
- Good technical knowledge of IFRS and Investment Entity accounting (UK GAAP knowledge also an advantage)
- Good knowledge of fund accounting and fund structures including GPs and AIFs (UK, Lux, Channel Islands).
- Experience of working with renewable energy investment assets and an understanding of relevant subsidy schemes is preferable
- Good understanding of CIR and other basis tax rules would be an advantage
- Knowledge of SUN/Vision would be an advantage.
- Highly organised, able to plan ahead to deliver accurate information to tight reporting deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, with a proven ability to work well with different teams and manage a range of different stakeholders
- Self-motivated and aspirational, comfortable working in a fast-paced changing environment
- People management experience
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward, and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting, and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.
If you wish to apply for this role, please send your CV & covering letter to: [email protected]. Please put the title of the role you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
PLEASE READ PRIVACY NOTICE BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION