Senior Investment Associate – Energy Markets Team
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £10 billion (As at 31st March 2021) on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business – Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Moneycoach, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com
Octopus Renewables is a leading specialist renewable energy investment manager for retail and institutional clients. We currently manage investments in energy generating assets valued in excess of £3.4 billion. The assets we invest in and manage are across a range of geographical locations and include solar power parks, wind farms, reserve power plants (gas fired generators), biomass and landfill gas projects as well as anaerobic digestion systems. Our mission is to accelerate the transition to a future powered by renewable energy.
As announced on the 26th March, Octopus Renewables Limited is joining forces with Octopus Energy, forming part of the Octopus Energy Group. We expect the transition to occur in June or July.
About the role
The Investment Associate / Senior Investment Associate will support the team to manage the sale of power from Octopus’s portfolio of renewable generation assets and assist in market analysis and reporting to Octopus’s various stakeholders.
The Energy Markets Team is responsible for managing the sale of power from Octopus’s portfolio of renewable generation assets and informing the investment strategy of Octopus managed funds by assessing the attractiveness of given markets and assets. The job scope spans both UK and international portfolios; with accountability for key commercial decision making across the portfolio focused on the sale of power from over  assets.
In this role you will:
- Manage external advisors and assess forecast reporting across a number of different markets
- Prepare reports, providing timely and accurate updates to the wider Renewables team for inclusion in reporting to Octopus Renewables’ key stakeholders.
- Provide market expertise in the assessment of route-to-market and price hedging arrangements for potential acquisitions and new technologies
- Assess risks to assets associated with different power sales arrangements and structure power sale agreements in line with fund mandates
- Manage tender processes for the sale of power and power related products, reaching out to both utility and corporate market participants, managing legal resource and finalising contracts
- Oversee adherence to risk management procedures including managing and reporting on fund hedge positions
- Manage large data sets and conduct analysis to understand and interpret this data.
The role represents an excellent opportunity for an individual to join a highly motivated, supportive and collaborative team. In addition, the role offers a comprehensive training and development plan, encompassing on the job mentoring, in-house specialist sessions and external training. The exact training plan will be designed around the candidates needs and development goals. Whilst the role will initially be to support the management of a large portfolio of solar power companies, there may be opportunities to work in other teams.
Knowledge and skills
Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience:
- Knowledge and understanding of the project development process including, planning, grid connection and route to market in one or more countries. Experience in permitting renewable energy projects is a strong plus.
- Experience in negotiating and structuring of partnerships, co-development agreements, joint ventures, framework agreements, etc. Previous work experience in venture capital, private equity, Energy EPC / Supply Chain, module or turbine manufacturing, renewable development, utilities, or advisory, is a plus.
- Knowledge of power market designs and regulatory frameworks in/ or the UK and Europe.
- Experience in negotiating EPC, TSA and procuring construction contracts is a plus but not mandatory.
- Strong financial modelling skills of renewable projects and business plans, particularly from the perspective of an equity investor.
- Excellent written and spoken English required, fluent French / German / Spanish language is a plus but not mandatory.
- Exceptional project management and organisational skills. Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment.
- A self-starter with tenacity, initiative, entrepreneurial attitude and a willingness to take ownership of deals.
- A strong team player with the confidence to exercise judgement appropriately, challenge and coordinate with colleagues at all levels of seniority.
- Strong commercial mindset, able to structure proprietary deals.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward, and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting, and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.
If you wish to apply for this role, please send your CV & covering letter to: [email protected]. Please put the title of the role you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
PLEASE READ PRIVACY NOTICE BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION