Senior Investment Manager – Energy Markets Team
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £10 billion (As at 31st March 2021) on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business – Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Moneycoach, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com
Octopus Renewables is a leading specialist renewable energy investment manager for retail and institutional clients. We currently manage investments in energy generating assets valued in excess of £3.4 billion. The assets we invest in and manage are across a range of geographical locations and include solar power parks, wind farms, reserve power plants (gas fired generators), biomass and landfill gas projects as well as anaerobic digestion systems. Our mission is to accelerate the transition to a future powered by renewable energy.
As announced on the 26th March, Octopus Renewables Limited is joining forces with Octopus Energy, forming part of the Octopus Energy Group. We expect the transition to occur in June or July.
About the role
The Investment Manager / Senior Investment Manager will lead the management of the sale of power from Octopus’s portfolio of renewable generation assets, overseeing revenue generation in excess of £250m pa.
The Energy Markets Team is responsible for managing the sale of power from Octopus’s portfolio of renewable generation assets and informing the investment strategy of Octopus managed funds by assessing the attractiveness of given markets and assets. The job scope spans both UK and international portfolios; with accountability for key commercial decision making across the portfolio focused on the sale of power from over  assets.
In this role you will:
- Originate, structure and oversee frameworks with PPA origination specialists in given markets
- Own the development and adherence to risk management frameworks for our existing funds including hedging strategy, KPI development and performance reporting to Octopus Renewables’ key stakeholders.
- Develop offtake frameworks with both utility and corporate to provide scalable route-to-market and hedging options for existing and new products
- Oversee the progression and development of the systems, processes and governance required for operational excellence in our management of power sales
- Oversee tender processes for the sale of power and power related products, ensuring compliance to fund governance and managing any conflicts
- Provide innovative solutions to driving efficiency across the team in the management of power sales
The role represents an excellent opportunity for an individual to impact a highly motivated, supportive and collaborative team.
Knowledge and skills
Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience:
- This role will suit a candidate with experience in Renewables / Infrastructure / energy sector, focused on power market dynamics and arranging power sales agreements
- This role would be suitable for someone who is process-oriented, experienced with implementing and managing risk/position management systems and processes
- The candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of power market structures and power sales agreements and experience structuring and closing such deals
- Exceptional project management and organisational skills. Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment.
- The candidate will bring deep relationships with market participants across the industry
- Flexibility and “can do” attitude
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Willingness to learn and support others
- Dependable and committed to meeting the team’s objectives
- Must be curious and seek to learn and improve whilst instilling automated and digital solutions wherever appropriate
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward, and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting, and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.
If you wish to apply for this role, please send your CV & covering letter to: [email protected]. Please put the title of the role you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
PLEASE READ PRIVACY NOTICE BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION